Monday, July 21, 2008

Cool tips from Pearl for the 'dog days of summer'

Hello friends. We've sure had some hot days here in California this summer! I've never had my pups during the summer before, so this time my humans had to come up with new ways to keep them cool.

Since my pups also found their own ways to beat the heat, I thought I would share some doggie tips for keeping cool during the summer.

First of all, when they are feeling a bit warm, the pups sometimes take a dip in their water bowl. Alaric has even tried to soak and nap at the same time.


My humans keep telling the pups that water bowls are only for drinking, and then they give the pups ice bottles instead. The pups don't complain though, because the ice bottles are great. Not only do they keep us dogs cool, but they make great head and leg rests.

When they were younger, the pups would all share a bottle
. Nowadays, however, at most one or two of them will comfortably fit on a bottle (unless they get really creative).




The only problem
with ice bottles is that they aren't much fun to lick (though when the pups were younger, they did try). So, when it is a particularly hot day, my humans give the pups ice cubes and even blocks of ice with fun stuff in it.






Of course, Alaric likes not only to lick the ice, but to nap in it as well, and since he's a good boy, he usually lets his little sister have corner.







This weekend, my humans also brought out a little pool. I told my pups that humans have these giant bowls of water called 'pools' that you can swim in.



They didn't know what 'swimming' was, but they thought it sounded fun. I told them th
at they were much too young to swim, but that they could get in the little pool and splash around a bit.





They had a great time. Some of them even discovered a secret that every dog eventually learns - that water from the hose tastes the best!

Keep cool my friends! Pearl

No comments: